Online Casino Ireland – Background Information
Are you looking to gamble in Ireland legally but don’t have the necessary background information? The Irish have a long association with gambling, lasting for centuries. However, online gambling has only become legal in recent years. This means you can play popular games like blackjack, poker, roulette, and baccarat online. Continue reading to find out the legal situation of Irish gambling, popular games, and licensing.
Is offline gambling legal in Ireland?
Casinos are illegal in Ireland, as per the 1956 laws on betting and gambling. Unlike other countries in the United Kingdom, there is no real-life location in Ireland. However, betting establishments exist due to loopholes in the law. Only private clubs are allowed to have betting machines and tables open. Currently, there are around 12 of these private gambling clubs.
These sites host popular casino games such as poker, blackjack, roulette, and more. The only difference is that you must be a member to enter the premises and play. However, membership is usually free, and it’s only a formality to get around the gambling laws. Most of these sites are located in major cities like Dublin, Limerick, Dundalk, and Cork.
Is online gambling Ireland legal?
Gambling in online casinos is perfectly legal in Ireland because of the recent laws. This means while land-based casinos are banned, it’s perfectly legal to play on the internet. Since Irish law allows local and outside operators to apply for a license in the country, this means players get a wide variety of sites to select. These companies are usually based in the UK or other EU hotspots like Malta.
Receiving a license is a lengthy process, and only the best online casino will be rewarded with a permit. This is to ensure that players are treated fairly and that all games provide good odds to gamblers. When on an Irish casino, scroll to the bottom of the page to see what licenses they have. The best authorities in neighboring countries are the UK Gambling Commission and the Malta Gaming Authority.
They are highly respected in the industry because of how well they oversee and audit casinos. Seeing a license from them increases the trust gap between players and online sites. Also, you know that your money is safe and that the games are not rigged.
In addition, players can bet on all types of sports games. Horse racing continues to be one of the biggest industries on online gambling sites. Before, it was illegal to place such bets. However, in 2015 the Amendment to the Betting Act was passed, which legalized online sportsbooks. As long as an online site has all the necessary licenses, it’s perfectly legal to place sporting bets.
Moreover, you can play three types of lottery games – Lotto, EuroMillions, and Daily Millions. Although most of the lottery brands are government-owned, in 2013, a law was passed that allowed private ownership through a licensing system.
- The legislative framework: Since 2013, the Irish government has attempted to modernize the gambling system. Several laws have been passed since then, which allow lotteries to be legal. These laws aim to create an age limit of 18-years, create a central regulatory authority, upgrade the overall system, and legalize land-based casinos. Land-based sites are illegal to operate, but there are ways to get around the laws. Private establishments provide most of the content you’ll see abroad. However, they require players to get a membership, which is usually legal.
- Licensing: For a casino to operate, they must have a license from a respected authority because otherwise, they are working illegally. Never sign up and deposit to an online site that has no active licenses to avoid being scammed. You can check if the casino is operating with a live license by scrolling to the bottom of the page. You’ll see a number, which is easy to look up to see if it’s legitimate.
The biggest authorities you’ll find in Ireland are the UK Gambling Commission and the Malta Gaming Authority. They have been around for a long time and perfected how they go through a casino to determine if they are ready for the market. The authority checks every game, all payment systems, and security. This ensures that gamblers will be safe at all times and their funds are protected.
Furthermore, Ireland is creating their gambling authority to oversee all newly developed casinos created in the country. This will speed up auditing times and let new sites get licenses quicker since the bigger authorities have a long waiting time. However, this is a newly developing market in Ireland, so it may take a while for the authority to establish and be fully operational.
Taxes and limitations of online casinos
Casinos are taxed like any other business, but you may be wondering how much do they pay? Until 1986 the sites were taxed 20%. However, recently the amount was replaced with a 15% tax on bookmakers and their total profits at the point of supply. Therefore, more and more sites shifted to offshore, where they would have to pay as little as 1% in taxes. To combat this, an amendment to the 2005 Gambling Act was made to only let casinos operate within the UK with a gambling license from the UK Gambling Authority.
Gambling activities in Ireland aren’t all subject to taxes. So average players won’t feel the effects of the gambling tax. Most players don’t win a whole lot of money, and filling out documents isn’t worth the hassle. However, if you’re a big-time player who bets and wins large amounts, you may want to place bets offshore. Some countries will make you pay next to nothing in taxes on your bets, for example Malta, which has a 1% tax.
With the new laws being passed, many gambling establishments are being opened to the public. They offer unique rewards to the Irish public to enjoy and increase exposure. In addition, the increase of competition leads to better-developed online casinos that try to make the experience as best as possible.
What types of gambling activities are legal in Ireland?
Nowadays, there are multiple gambling activities Irish citizens can take part in. The sites are operated by respected commissions that oversee everything, which makes it perfectly legitimate. Online casinos are legal in the country, and they provide a full range of content. You can find games like baccarat, poker, roulette, and baccarat.
However, real-life locations are illegal as there are laws preventing them from opening. To go around the rules, establishments create a membership system. The cost of getting access into the private club is usually zero and is only created to create a loophole around the law.
Popular casino games in Ireland
Like most online casinos, Irish gambling sites offer players the most popular games to enjoy. They provide different variants of classical games to deliver variety.
- Blackjack: perhaps the most popular game type is blackjack, where players get two cards at the start of each round. The aim of the game is to get a total of 21 points from the cards. You may hit to receive another card or hold if you think your hand will total more than the house.
- Poker: an interesting game that requires more skill than luck is poker. Tournaments are fun and exciting because all players start with the same chip stack and build it over time. However, if you don’t have much time, cash games are exciting since you can cash out whenever.
- Baccarat: much like blackjack, you want the cards to total a certain number. The objective of the game is to get your hand to nine or close. The game features some of the best odds, such as 8:1. Also, betting sizes are the smallest so that people with small bankrolls can play.
- Roulette: a game the relies on luck is roulette. A ball is spun on a wheel, and players can bet on which number or color it will land on. Numbers and the green color have the biggest payouts due to the small percentage chance of the ball landing there.
- Slots: another luck-based fun game is slot machines. It features three or five reels that players spin to try to connect multiple symbols. Jackpot slots are thrilling because players with small amounts of money can win huge prizes.
Advantages and negatives of online gambling
When it comes to playing online with your hard-earned cash, it can have many drawbacks and positives.
Pros: playing in an online casino can be thrill-seeking because of the fantastic prizes. With online sites being open each day, the promotions are amazing due to them wanting to attract new players. Therefore, you can take advantage and use the free spins and match bonus to earn yourself more money. This way, you don’t risk your capital and have a chance to win big pots. Also, playing online means that you don’t need to travel to a real-life location, which saves time and money.
Cons: a huge drawback of gambling is that it’s easy to get addicted. You may have a losing streak and keep betting to try to make it back. This can lead to losses that you can’t afford. Also, the games are not in favor of the player, with the house always getting the better odds.
Can you win money at Irish online casinos?
Yes, the games are fair and give great odds for players to win money.
Is it safe to gamble online?
If a respected authority regulates the casino, then it’s perfectly safe to deposit money on their site. You can see who they are licensed by at the bottom of the page.
What popular bonuses can you receive at an online casino?
The most common promotion is the match bonus with free spins. You’ll receive extra funds to gamble with that will have a wagering requirement.
What are the most popular games?
Most casinos will have classic games like slots, poker, baccarat, roulette, and blackjack.